Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fireworks, Waterfalls and Ugly Cakes.

Here are some shots from Fallen Leaf Lake in Tahoe. 
My Hubby and his sister chatting about whether or not they could drink the water.
The dog enjoying the FREEZING WATER!!
I guess I was the only one excited about this picture...

My sister in law (in the middle) visiting from Moldova (she's in the peace corps) and her bestie brooke.  Brooke came prepared with festive wear.


Since my SIL is heading back to Moldova today tried to make a hot pink zebra striped cake for her..  But, it did not work out so well.  So I will share the before pictures and the recipe since it tasted pretty yummy.

I found this recipe for white cake in a Better Homes and Gardens Baking book. 
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspsoon salt
1/2 cup shortening or butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg whites
1 1/3 cup buttermilk.

Grease and flour 2 rounds or one sheet pan.
Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set off to the side.
Cream butter and add sugar and vanilla
Add egg whites one at a time
Once blended alternately mix in flour mixture and buttermilk.
Pour into greased pans and Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 min.

I chose to cook in a rounded pan  and cut out the middle.  I filled with vanilla snack packs (because they don't have to be refrigerated) and fresh raspberries.  I frosted the cake with vanilla frosting (hot pink) but I think whipped cream would taste even better.  This cake is very moist.

It is what it is....  Sorry neet!

No comments:

Post a Comment