One of my new fav recipes is Panna Cotta. An Italian Custard Dessert. I made it for someone that loves Creme Brulee but I wanted to have them try a new summery dessert.
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pour milk into a small bowl, and stir in the gelatin powder. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, stir together the heavy cream and sugar, and set over medium heat. Bring to a full boil, watching carefully, as the cream will quickly rise to the top of the pan. Pour the gelatin and milk into the cream, stirring until completely dissolved. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and pour into six individual ramekin dishes.
- Cool the ramekins uncovered at room temperature. When cool, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before serving.
- I also added one vanilla bean. Make sure you slice in half and scrap beans into milk mixture with the pod. Allow to steep(come up to the boil in the milk) and remove the pod after mixture is boiled.
Instead of Ramekins I use these Ball Jars. They make cute gifts or just a fun presentation.
To top the panna cotta because it if a very light sweet flavor.. I made a tangy lime, raspeberry, ginger compote for the top.
12 oz of frozen raspberries
3 Tablespoons of Sugar
1 teaspoon of Karo syrup (just for a glossy look)
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger (powder)
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 of a lime
Mix ingredients together in a small pot and bring to a simmer. cook until sugar is dissolved completely. Allow to cool completely and then pour a small amount over the panna cotta in each jar. It will be really tart but it goes very well with the sweetness of the custard.
It is super easy and delicious and People will be soo impressed!